[Users] trouble with imported windows VM

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 30 14:36:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 02:27:16PM +0000, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> I did try to create a new VM and add the 2 disks that were
> originally imported, but still no go.  The vm refuses to boot.

You need to be much more specific about how it "refuses to boot".

> I was also unable to import just the D drive attached to a VM, it
> gave me the error " virt-v2v: No root device found in this operating
> system image".

As explained earlier, data disks don't need any conversion.  There is
nothing that virt-v2v could do with them, and it isn't able to operate
on data disks, only on operating systems.

> Right now I am trying to consolidate the KVM virtual machine down to
> 1 disk partitioned to the necessary C and D drives, and ill try an
> import like that (since it was previously successful coming from KVM
> with just the one disk).

A word of caution: Don't use Windows logical disks.  Use regular
partitions.  Although we now support LDM upstream, that support is not
in RHEL 6.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW