[Users] [Engine-devel] [Feedback required][host-deploy] Fedora-19 misses tar at minimal setup

Nicholas Kesick cybertimber2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 01:57:41 UTC 2013

I did some testing with Fedora 18 (waiting for the Fedora 19 dvd to finish downloading) and I think that the behavior was the same way in Fedora 18. In Fedora 18 when installing from DVD if you select “Minimal Install”, you do not get tar.

However, if you select “Minimal install” and “standard” under the add-on list, you *do* get tar. And if memory serves I learned the hard way in Fedora 18 that a lot of familiar commands are missing in minimal install without the standard add-on items including “ifconfig”. Yea, you can’t even easily tell what your IP address is!... unless you are used to the ip command.

Is there any other commands that are missing on the “minimal” install that are needed? Would it be easier to mention in the install directions to use the standard add-on if selecting the minimal package set for host deployment?

Just thoughts. I also wonder if it would be possible to include tar as a dependency for the RPMs (like ovirt-engine or vdsm) so when installed using a package manager, tar would be checked for.

- Nick