[Users] Designate Master Storage Domain

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Thu Aug 15 05:05:30 UTC 2013

ons 2013-08-14 klockan 22:18 -0500 skrev Dead Horse:
Is there any method of designating which domain should be the master storage domain or forcibly changing the role to a different storage domain?

EG: Given the following example

Storage Domain A (Master) --> NFS --> Storage Server 1

Storage Domain B --> NFS --> Storage Server 2

One wants to do maintenance to Storage Server 1 but in doing so the Master storage domain is hosted from Storage Server 1. Thus the net result of taking down Storage Server 1 is that one must also take down Storage Server 2.

Thus we know we must shut down VM's from Storage Domain A to maintenance Storage Server 1. Suppose however that VM's are running that we don't want to shut down and are hosted from Storage Domain B via Storage Server 2.

We would want to be able to promote Storage Domain B to Master so that we can take down Storage Domain A to do maintenance to Storage Server 1.

Once we are done with maintenance to Storage Server 1 we can bring Storage Domain A back on line, re-designate it as Master if desired and bring it's VM's back online.

I know I have seen this occur automatically to a point when a Storage Domain goes missing that is the Master Domain but I have not noted any manual method of doing so given the above scenario.

- DHC

How about just pausing the VM's from webadmin, shut engine down, do maintenance, start engine back up and then run the VM's again?

--

Med Vänliga Hälsningar
Karli Sjöberg