[Users] Feedback/ input needed on Host power management

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Wed Aug 21 07:17:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 15:50 -0400, Malini Rao wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We received a few responses to the email below that were very helpful and it seemed like while some people preferred one over the other concept, there was a general need to see the power management card details in a handy manner. Taking all the feedback into account, we have made an iteration to the concept and want to present it back to you for your feedback. Please see attached. In this version, the dialog presents the following flow from top to bottom -
>
> 1. enable power management
> 2. Then Select which cards to use
> 3. Then indicate to the system whether those cards should be used concurrently or sequentially.

Great that you choose this flow - I think it's the one which is the most
user friendly one.

> Within Step 2 in the flow, the details for each card are collapsed by default but can easily be expanded.
>
> Besides feedback on the attached mockup, we also have some questions that we would like some clarifications on -
>
> 1. When power management is enabled on a host, will atleast one card NEED to be enabled? If yes, is that always the Primary card ( in other words, should the primary card ever be disabled?)

I think the primary card has to be enabled whenever power management is
enabled, but power management should stay disabled per default.

> 2. Currently, in the mockup, we have checkboxes to enable and disable certain cards and also the ability to add cards. Should there be an ability to remove cards too in addition to turning them on/ off or is it ok to just add/ remove and take out the checkboxes all together?

If you keep with the concept of having a primary and secondary card you
shouldn't be able to remove one of these 2 cards - only
enabled/disable/edit it.

One thing that keeps in mind for a future improvement (somewhere after >
3.3) would be a power management template.
When having a bigger setup (assuming 20 hosts from the same manufacturer
and therefor with the same remote management cards) you have to set
address, username, password, type, (maybe port) and (maybe options) 20
times (with 2 cards 40 times). But it would be much easier if I create a
power management template and set all parameters except address, choose
this template in power management tab of each host and set the address
of the card there.
But as said - would be nice to have in the future.

Regards,
René