[Users] Setup Host Network dialog - actions availability [ux][BZ#984737]

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Fri Aug 23 12:42:06 UTC 2013

On 23/08/13 08:51, Karli Sjöberg wrote:
> tor 2013-08-22 klockan 20:43 +0300 skrev Lior Vernia:
>>
>> On 22/08/13 20:04, Einav Cohen wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > This is about attempting to address the difficulty of finding the edit-action in
>> > the Setup Host Network dialog, as documented in "Bug 984737 - usability: webadmin
>> > difficulty in assigning client ip, no gateway possible" in bugzilla.
>> > We have a suggestion from Eldan (see attached "HostSetupNetworks-HoverPopUp.png")
>> > which was described in the BZ (comment #3) and seemed acceptable by the reporter
>> > (comment #4), however IIUC - one of the main pain points described in the BZ was
>> > the fact that the user could not find the option to Edit the connection properties
>> > since he was looking in the wrong place, and needed to hover on the correct place,
>> > in order to find that option.
>> > So although the idea is somewhat helpful, my concern is that this solution is not
>> > enough (comment #5).
>> >
>> > Another proposal from Malini (comment #6) is to add an "actions" drop-down menu in
>> > the form of a small "gear" icon-button - see attached "HostSetupNetworks-DropDownMenu.png".
>> > This proposal addresses my concern, however I have a question about another concern
>> > with this solution:
>> > would the actions-drop-down menu-items panel be revealed appear upon click or upon
>> > hover?
>> >
>> > if it will be upon hover, it might seem weird/be conflicted/be somewhat confusing
>> > with the hover functionality that reveals the logical-network details pop-up.
>>
>> If this proposal is accepted (see my comments below about both
>> proposals), one solution might be to get rid of the network details
>> tooltip. Most people probably don't use MTU,
>
> Just a FYI there Lior; we do:) And when 10GbE becomes available, Jumbo
> Frames is going to be required to use all that bandwidth. Otherwise you
> are capped at about half(500MB/s as opposed to 1,2GB/s).

And is it at all helpful to see it in the Host Setup Networks context?
It is set in the DC context when adding or editing a network, to my
understanding it doesn't have much to do with a specific host.

I'm guessing the main reason it's there is to give people a shot at
guessing why their network appears out-of-sync, when it's caused by the
MTU being configured differently on the host, but I don't think that
would be easy to figure out anyway.