[Users] Setup Host Network dialog - actions availability [ux][BZ#984737]

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Fri Aug 23 12:46:52 UTC 2013

fre 2013-08-23 klockan 15:42 +0300 skrev Lior Vernia:

On 23/08/13 08:51, Karli Sjöberg wrote:
> tor 2013-08-22 klockan 20:43 +0300 skrev Lior Vernia:
>>
>> On 22/08/13 20:04, Einav Cohen wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > This is about attempting to address the difficulty of finding the edit-action in
>> > the Setup Host Network dialog, as documented in "Bug 984737 - usability: webadmin
>> > difficulty in assigning client ip, no gateway possible" in bugzilla.
>> > We have a suggestion from Eldan (see attached "HostSetupNetworks-HoverPopUp.png")
>> > which was described in the BZ (comment #3) and seemed acceptable by the reporter
>> > (comment #4), however IIUC - one of the main pain points described in the BZ was
>> > the fact that the user could not find the option to Edit the connection properties
>> > since he was looking in the wrong place, and needed to hover on the correct place,
>> > in order to find that option.
>> > So although the idea is somewhat helpful, my concern is that this solution is not
>> > enough (comment #5).
>> >
>> > Another proposal from Malini (comment #6) is to add an "actions" drop-down menu in
>> > the form of a small "gear" icon-button - see attached "HostSetupNetworks-DropDownMenu.png".
>> > This proposal addresses my concern, however I have a question about another concern
>> > with this solution:
>> > would the actions-drop-down menu-items panel be revealed appear upon click or upon
>> > hover?
>> >
>> > if it will be upon hover, it might seem weird/be conflicted/be somewhat confusing
>> > with the hover functionality that reveals the logical-network details pop-up.
>>
>> If this proposal is accepted (see my comments below about both
>> proposals), one solution might be to get rid of the network details
>> tooltip. Most people probably don't use MTU,
>
> Just a FYI there Lior; we do:) And when 10GbE becomes available, Jumbo
> Frames is going to be required to use all that bandwidth. Otherwise you
> are capped at about half(500MB/s as opposed to 1,2GB/s).

And is it at all helpful to see it in the Host Setup Networks context?
It is set in the DC context when adding or editing a network, to my
understanding it doesn't have much to do with a specific host.

No I agree, it´s not helpful at all, maybe even destructive. Why allow admins to mess around with different MTU's on different Hosts for the same network. Since MTU is set in the switches, the MTU must be the same for all Hosts on the same network, or one could wreak all kinds of havoc. What I was saying is not to forget that, for admins, MTU is a big deal, and makes a big difference in performance, is all.

I'm guessing the main reason it's there is to give people a shot at
guessing why their network appears out-of-sync, when it's caused by the
MTU being configured differently on the host, but I don't think that
would be easy to figure out anyway.

--

Med Vänliga Hälsningar
Karli Sjöberg