[Users] so, what do you want next in oVirt?

Jakub Bittner j.bittner at nbu.cz
Tue Aug 27 15:47:50 UTC 2013

Dne 27.8.2013 17:34, Itamar Heim napsal(a):
> [...]
>>>
>>> below[1] I've listed my understanding of what already went in from
>>> previous survey requests (to various degrees of coverage).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>    Itamar
>>>
>>> [1] from the top 12
>>> V Allow disk resize
>>> V Integrate Nagios/Zabbix monitoring - via a ui plugin
>>> V Highly Available engine - via hosted engine[2]
>>> V Open vSwitch integration - via neutron integration
>>> X Allow cloning VMs without template
>>> ? Enable hypervisor upgrade/updates through engine[3]
>>> V Allow engine on an oVirt hosted VM - via hosted engine[2]
>>> V Enable guest configuration (root password, SSH keys, network) via
>>>   guest agent in engine - via cloud-init
>>> X Integrate v2v into engine
>>> ? Bond/extend ovirtmgmt with a second network for HA/increased
>>>   bandwidth[4]
>>> X Integrate scheduling of snapshots and VM export for backups in
>>>   engine[5]
>>> V Spice – support Google Chrome - via mime based launch
>>>

>>> Other items mentioned in previous survey which should be covered by
>>> now:
>>> - Fix timeout when adding local host during all-in-one configuration
>>> - Fix engine set-up when SELinux is disabled
>>> - Provide packages for el6 (CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux)
>>> - Allow multiple VMs to be deployed from the same template at the same
>>>   time
>>> - ISO domains on local/GlusterS
>>> - Show IP addresses in Virtual Machines->Network Interfaces
>>> - OpenStack Quantum support (now called Neutron)
>>> - noVNC support
>>> - Support spice.html5 and websocket proxy
>>> - Add other guest OSes to list
>>> - Port oVirt guest agent to Ubuntu[6]
>>> - SLA - Allow resource time-sharing
>>> - Spice - Mac client (via mime based launch)
>>> - Spice - port XPI plug-in to Windows (not sure this will happen, but
>>>   mime based launch allows using firefox now)
>>> - Spice - client for Ubuntu/Debian (should be covered via mime based
>>>   launch)
>>>

>>> [2] hosted engine is in active development, but not released yet.
>>> [3] host update is supported, but not for general yum update.
>>> [4] a lot of improvements were done in this space, but i'm not sure if
>>>     they cover this exact use case
>>> [5] backup api is now being pushed to master, and orchestration of
>>>     backups should probably happen via 3rd part backup vendors?
>>> [6] I'm not sure packaging exists yet, but ubuntu is covered for the
>>>     basic functionality of the guest agent.
>>
>> Some time ago I was on IBM kvm virtualization preview and they show us
>> gold image feature and I like it. It could be implemented in oVirt ;-)
>>
>> more info:
>> http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/ibmfsb/v2r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.sbsolutions.doc%2FugGoldImageOverview.htm
>>

> Can you explain how you view this as different from ovirt templates?
>

>> Next nice feature could be importing existing iSCSI domain.
>
> importing any data storage domain i assume?
Yes.

>> Possibility of direct use of HW by VM.
>
> such as?
Telephone modem. PCI-express cards. Graphic cards

>> and the absolutely fantastic feature would be to create clusters from
>> Intel and AMD processors together!
>
> well, you can do that today if you want to via a config change. the
> only thing is live migration won't work (you should probably use -cpu
> host to get best performance, since live migration won't be used anyway)
> (well, in theory we could live migrate only between hosts of same cpu
> vendor, but not sure interesting enough use case to make cluster and
> scheduling more complex). though you can do that part on your own with
> the new pluggable scheduler, or use -cpu host to get max performance
> if you don't care about live migration

 From my point of view it is better to have slower cpu performance and
possibility to use all of our servers in cluster. I would like to have
live migration available from intel to amd. The problem is only in cpu
instruction sets? If so, I can use only common sets.

Another feature which I forgot is network between VMs and mirroring
traffic. Both configurable from WUI.