[Users] Designate Master Storage Domain

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Wed Aug 28 07:12:40 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Live Migration is possible when the relevant storage server is not the one
> needing to be taken offline for maintenance. Granted a proper Gluster setup
> would alleviate that however when optimum performance of file backed
> virtual disks is a factor Gluster is not there yet.

You gave examples where you want to migrate your data and you don't want to kill your VMs, so I suggested live storage migration, where the VM keeps running on the same host, but the underlying disk is moved from one storage domain to another.

You basically have 3 options:
1. live storage migration
2. hotunplug the disk (assuming guest supports it and disk interface supports it) - in case the VM can live without this disk
3. stop the VM

Putting a domain in maintenance while there are paused VMs with disks on this domain is not implemented in the system.

But going back to your original scenario I think this discussion has shifted quite far from what you actually want to achieve, so I'd like to revisit that.
First I'll explain what I understood from your original request to make sure that we're on the same page:
You have 2 storage domains sd1 and sd2.
sd1 is currently master storage domain.
you want to put sd1 in maintenance.
you have running VMs using *sd2* which you do not want to shut down.

For the above scenario (which I hope is what you're aiming for), all you have to do is stop only the VMs which have disks on *sd1* (or live storage migrate or hotunplug as explained above) and once that is done just put sd1 in maintenance.  In this scenario, the system will automatically move the master storage domain to be sd2, no downtime for VMs which don't have disks on sd1.