[Users] VM with stateless snapshot won't start

Martijn Grendelman martijn.grendelman at isaac.nl
Thu Dec 5 12:01:44 UTC 2013

Hello Dafna,

> If a failure happened and the stateless vm has shut down without delete
> of the snapshot, the next time you will try to run it we will try to
> delete the snapshot.
> from the engine log, it seems that there is a problem deleting the
> snapshot because of quota.
> can you please try to disable the quota and try to run the vm again?

Quota were not enabled on this Data Center, I have never done anything
with quota on oVirt. The 'quota' table was empty, and the 'quota_id'
field on all VMs in the 'vm_static' table was NULL.

Since it was seemingly trying to set the quota_id for this particular VM
to '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000', I manually inserted a record
into the quota table using this ID. After that, I was able to start te
VM. The quota_id field for the VM now contains a reference to this fake id.

> Please note that the first time you will run it after disabling the
> quota, the snapshot should be deleted but the vm will still not start.
> only after the snapshot is deleted you will be able to run the vm again.

Indeed, it took two attempts to start the VM.

Question: is it harmful to leave the fake quota record with id
'00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000' and the reference to it in the
vm_static table in place?

Cheers,
Martijn.