[Users] Agents for Windows

Blaster Blaster at 556nato.com
Fri Dec 6 04:33:04 UTC 2013

On 12/3/2013 7:18 AM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2013, at 10:55 , Vinzenz Feenstra <vfeenstr at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/02/2013 09:15 PM, Blaster wrote:
>>> I've been able to find prebuilt virt-io drivers and spice agents for Windows.  Are there any repositories for prebuilt qemu-agent and ovirt agents for Windows?
>> Unfortunately no.
> we're just lacking the capacity. If someone can put it together there's no problem to host it at ovirt.org
>
> Thanks,
> michal

I guess I'm confused as to how Red Hat can be making statements that
Ovirt is a viable alternative to ESXi when many simple things that ESXi
users take for granted simply don't work or are non-existent under
Ovirt.  I'm hardly a power user of ESXi, and I've only begun my Ovirt
journey, but I've already come across the following:

1) No easy way to use an NFS share of ISOs to boot VMs with.  Have to
create a data domain and custom build a symlink tree.
2) No way to take an existing VM disk image and "add to inventory". You
have to go through a process of importing it into a data domain.  This
makes it very complex to pop a disk out of chassis and move the VMs to a
new hypervisor and go.  Also makes DR more complex.
3) No way to make a backup of a guest using snapshots because you
apparently can't delete the snap shots after you create them. (Must have
been the same engineers who wrote ZFS and never imagined anyone would
want to shrink a ZFS filesystem...)
4) There appears to be little or no documention on what you need to do
to prep an Ovirt guest..  I still am not sure, and I've spent hours on
Google trying to put it together...
Looks like you need
a) virt-IO drivers
b) Spice drivers
c) qemu-agent drivers which you must create your own build environment
and build yourself
d) ovirt-agent drivers which you must create your own build environment
and build yourself
e) have I missed anything?
Under ESXi it's right click, install. done.