[Users] Agents for Windows

Vinzenz Feenstra vfeenstr at redhat.com
Fri Dec 6 11:25:19 UTC 2013

On 12/06/2013 05:33 AM, Blaster wrote:
> On 12/3/2013 7:18 AM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:

>>> Unfortunately no.
>> we're just lacking the capacity. If someone can put it together
>> there's no problem to host it at ovirt.org
>>
>> Thanks,
>> michal
>>

> I guess I'm confused as to how Red Hat can be making statements that
> Ovirt is a viable alternative to ESXi when many simple things that
> ESXi users take for granted simply don't work or are non-existent
> under Ovirt.  I'm hardly a power user of ESXi, and I've only begun my
> Ovirt journey, but I've already come across the following:
>
> 1) No easy way to use an NFS share of ISOs to boot VMs with.  Have to
> create a data domain and custom build a symlink tree.
> 2) No way to take an existing VM disk image and "add to inventory".
> You have to go through a process of importing it into a data domain.
> This makes it very complex to pop a disk out of chassis and move the
> VMs to a new hypervisor and go.  Also makes DR more complex.
> 3) No way to make a backup of a guest using snapshots because you
> apparently can't delete the snap shots after you create them. (Must
> have been the same engineers who wrote ZFS and never imagined anyone
> would want to shrink a ZFS filesystem...)
> 4) There appears to be little or no documention on what you need to do
> to prep an Ovirt guest..  I still am not sure, and I've spent hours on
> Google trying to put it together...
> Looks like you need
> a) virt-IO drivers
> b) Spice drivers
> c) qemu-agent drivers which you must create your own build environment
> and build yourself
> d) ovirt-agent drivers which you must create your own build
> environment and build yourself
> e) have I missed anything?
> Under ESXi it's right click, install. done.
I understand that you're disappointed and we're trying to make our best
to make the user experience better. You should be considering the age of
the project and what we're actually already providing. Yes not
everything is perfect, but we're working hard on improving it.
We're working in a collaborative way together with the community, if
you're missing something, there's always the possibility to help out.
Even if you're not a programmer you can help improving the experience.
For example in your case to document point 4 in the wiki so that it's
easier to find this information.

For points 1-3 I would simply suggest that you can make a feature
requests and describe how you would imagine this could work.
We're pretty open to suggestions.

Another thing having to say about your point 4 is that you're basing
your experience solely on Windows guests, which are a bit more
troublesome to support the same way we do for example Linux guests.
First of all the oVirt project would need licenses for Windows to build
those binaries at the moment. However there are plans providing
pre-built guest agents for oVirt, however this is currently slowly
moving on and any help in that regard,
of setting up a viable, preferably cross-platform build environment, is
of course welcome.

Once we have builds for windows, we might be able to publish an ISO
which can be attached to windows VMs and run autostart for the
installation. However I wouldn't expect this to be happening too soon,
though.