[Users] Agents for Windows

Blaster blaster at 556nato.com
Mon Dec 9 14:42:36 UTC 2013

On Dec 6, 2013, at 5:25 AM, Vinzenz Feenstra <vfeenstr at redhat.com> wrote:

> I understand that you're disappointed and we're trying to make our best to make the user experience better. You should be considering the age of the project and what we're actually already providing. Yes not everything is perfect, but we're working hard on improving it.
> We're working in a collaborative way together with the community, if you're missing something, there's always the possibility to help out. Even if you're not a programmer you can help improving the experience.

Bob pretty much said it all for me already…I’m not so much as disappointed in ovirt development as I am the marketing of it.  ovirt is being marketed as an ESXi replacement when it surely isn’t.  Probably 90%+ of what ESXi is used for is virtualizing Windows.  Give ovirt in it’s current form to a typical Windows user and they’ll self destruct.

The first issue with the agents as I can’t even find any documentation on what agents really need installing, and what features I’m getting with that agent!

Another thing is, I would think that Fedora would be integrated enough with ovirt that it would be able to automatically detect it’s running on ovirt and install all the required agents automatically.

I forgot my number 5)  BIOS needs to work like a standard PC BIOS (as does ESXi) in allowing you to press F8 to get a boot menu or F12 for network boot.  This run once stuff is silly.  It works fine the first time I create a VM as there’s no bootable OS on the datastore, but if I need to re-PXE boot a VM, then I have to Run Once..OK, fine, but when the PXE completes it reboots, back into network boot, then I have to kill the VM and restart it normally.  Under a PC (or ESXi) BIOS, I just hit F12, network boot, OS re-installs, then  reboots normally.  Much better user experience.   I gave our Red Hat sales people feedback on this issue and was told it’s not going to change.