[Users] Abysmal network performance inside hypervisor node

Markus Stockhausen stockhausen at collogia.de
Wed Dec 11 20:32:08 UTC 2013

Ok, now it is getting crazy. Something is going on inside debugfs.
I do not know what activated it, but I have two candidates:

1) DMA API debugging has been enabled. So I deactivated it with
echo Y > ./sys/kernel/debug/dma-api/disabled and instantly
throughput raises from 17MB/sec to 33MB/sec

2) Another location I cannot identify up to know. A perf trace shows
the following consumption path.

- 12,51%  kworker/1:2 [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] lock_is_held
  - lock_is_held
   - 82,25% __module_address
     - 99,97% __module_text_address
       is_module_text_address
       __kernel_text_address
       print_context_stack
       dump_trace
       save_stack_trace
      - set_track
        - 52,61% free_debug_processing
         - __slab_free
           - 93,67% kmem_cache_free
            - 72,64% kfree_skbmem
              - 91,34% __kfree_skb
               - 92,58% napi_gro_receive
                  ipoib_ib_handle_rx_wc
                  ipoib_poll
                  net_rx_action
                  __do_softirq
                  call_softirq
                 - do_softirq
                  - 75,12% irq_exit
                    - 95,67% smp_apic_timer_interrupt
                     - apic_timer_interrupt
                       - 79,47% __slab_free
                        - 99,51% kmem_cache_free
                          - 99,19% nfs_free_request
                            nfs_release_request
                            nfs_readpage_release
                            nfs_read_completion
                            nfs_readdata_release
                            nfs_readpage_release_common
                            rpc_free_task
                            rpc_async_release
                            process_one_work
                            worker_thread
                            kthread
                            ret_from_fork
                          + 0,81% nfs_readhdr_free

Any idea what activates tracing for nfs kmem allocations?

Markus