[Users] Ubuntu & Debian guest agent

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Thu Dec 12 10:16:48 UTC 2013

Okay,

i was able to resolve some of my questions already
with the help of Vinzenz Feenstra in ovirt IRC
(Thanks again).

I'm somewhat impressed, the agent reports
IPv4 addresses and even multiple ipv6 addresses
from the vm.

But I have some additional question:

There is a huge dependency tree,
resulting in the download of the following
packages on Ubuntu 12.04.3:

fontconfig fontconfig-config hicolor-icon-theme libatk1.0-0
libatk1.0-data libavahi-client3
  libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libcairo2 libcups2 libdatrie1
libfontconfig1 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common
libjasper1 libjpeg-turbo8 libjpeg8
  libnl1 libpango1.0-0 libpixman-1-0 libthai-data libthai0 libtiff4
libuser1 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shm0
  libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxfixes3 libxft2 libxi6
libxinerama1 libxrandr2 libxrender1
  python-ethtool shared-mime-info ttf-dejavu-core usermode

I investigated a little and it seems that most of this stuff
(graphic libs) gets pulled in by the package "usermode"
which is a graphical tool for end users for manipulating
passwords etc.

I can understand that this tool might be needed for SSO
and okay for desktop users.

But I want to ask if it can't be substituted through sudo
or similar commandline tools for the purpose of installing
the agent on a server.

from a security perspective you don't want files like libjpeg
on your server if you don't need them.

I don't know how/why exactly usermode is used/needed so
maybe this can be changed?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen