[Users] simple networking? [SOLVED] mostly

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Fri Dec 13 20:22:23 UTC 2013

On 12/13/2013 03:11 PM, Ted Miller wrote:

> On 12/13/2013 7:56 AM, Bob Doolittle wrote:
>>
>> On 12/12/2013 11:04 PM, Ted Miller wrote:

>>> violation".  I have no concept of what king of an installation the
> [...]
>>> o-virt
>>> puts into every host and VM under its jurisdiction.
>>>
>>> All of the above is inferred from things I Googled, because I can't
>>> find
>>> anywhere that explains what or how things are supposed to work--only
>>> things
>>> telling people WHAT THEY CANT DO.  All I see on the mailing lists is
>>> people
>>> getting their hands slapped because they are trying to do SIMPLE
>>> SETUPS that
>>> should work, but don't (due to either design restrictions or
>>> software bugs).
>>>
>>> My use case A:
>>>    * My (2 or 3) hosts have only one physical NIC.
>>>    * My VMs exist to provide services to non-VM computers.
>>>       *  The VMs do not run X-windows, but they provide GUI programs to
>>> non-VMs via "ssh -X" connections.
>>>    * MY VMs need access to storage that is shared with hosts and
>>> non-VMs on
>>> the LAN.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to TURN OFF network control in o-virt?  My systems
>>> are
>>> small and static.  I can hand-configure the networking a whole lot
>>> easier
>>> than I can deal with o-virt (as I have used it so far). Mostly I
>>> would need
>>> to be able to turn off the firewall rules on both hosts and VMs.
>>>
>>> banging head against wall,
>>> Ted
>>> *********************************************************
>>>
>>> I have spent the last three days getting a Centos 6.5 host running
>>> under O-virt.
>>>
>>> Since the networking was just a small part of this, I am going to
>>> open an new thread
>>> to discuss the Centos 6.5 host setup process.  Look for a thread
>>> titled something like
>>> "Centos 6.5 host configuration" if you want the gory details, or
>>> want to try if for yourself.
>>>
>>> My biggest problem is that the o-virt GUI is apparently incapable of
>>> setting
>>> up a bridge in Centos, which turned out to be what I needed. I had
>>> to set up the
>>> bridge BEFORE adding the host to the ovirt cluster.  If the bridge
>>> was not set
>>> up ahead of time, the whole installation failed completely.
>>>
>>> The bridge was only one of a list of things that had to be done
>>> ahead of time, in order
>>> for the process to complete correctly.
>>
>> Ted, I have RHEL 6.5 running in a VM, and it can talk to all my VMs
>> and hosts on my LAN, and I didn't have to do anything special. I
>> didn't define any new networks or bridges or anything of the sort,
>> either in oVirt or on my host or engine. It just worked.
>>
>> I am running RHEL 6.5 on both my engine and my host, as well in this
>> particular VM.
>>
>> -Bob
> Do you have the Engine on a separate machine, or did you set up the

I have two machines for oVirt. One (Intel i5) is Fedora 19 running a VM
via libvirt (set to come up on boot so I never use libvirt any more
directly). In that VM is an RHEL 6.5 guest running Engine (upgraded from
6.4, although I no longer recall if ovirt-engine was installed before or
after the upgrade). On a separate machine (Intel i7) is RHEL 6.5,
running Host. Again, I don't remember if it was upgraded from 6.4 before
or after deploying it as Host.

I installed my Engine in a VM to make it easy to scratch and install a
new OS in future if necessary.

I can't wait for the self-hosting feature, so I can free up a machine! :)

HTH,
     Bob