[Users] Solaris 11.1 ISO panic on boot

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Tue Dec 17 15:18:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 22:38 -0600, Blaster wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2013, at 4:47 AM, René Koch <r.koch at ovido.at> wrote:
> >
> > I suggest to use the following settings for your Solaris guest:
> > * Operating System: Other
> > * nic1: rtl8139
> > * Disk1: IDE
> >
> > Booting from the DVD ISO works fine for Sol 10 and 11 with these settings.
>
> I just tried that, with booting both the Solaris 11.1 txt installer and the 11.1 Live media ISOs.  Can you try one of those in on your system and see if they boot?

I used this image for installing Solaris 11: sol-11_1-text-x86.iso,
which is the Solaris 11.1 text based installer...

Works fine for me on my oVirt 3.3 setup - installed Solaris 11.1 right
now - (did also work fine in oVirt 3.2 and on a RHEL 6 server with plain
KVM)...

root at solaris:~# cat /etc/release
                             Oracle Solaris 11.1 X86
  Copyright (c) 1983, 2012, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights
reserved.
                           Assembled 19 September 2012

> I wonder if something changed with 11.1?
>
> I think someone mentioned trying to boot with Virt Manager..Is it OK to mix virtmanager and ovirt guests on the same system?

That's not a good idea to mix virt-manager and oVirt on one host.
You can try to install Solaris 11.1 on a dedicated KVM-based host using
virt-manager and import it to oVirt using virt-v2v tools in case you
can't manage to install Solaris as a guest in your oVirt setup...

Regards,
René