[Users] MAC in use when importing/cloning a VM

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Wed Feb 6 09:54:13 UTC 2013

Le 06/02/2013 09:26, Shahar Havivi a écrit :
> On 06.02.13 08:36, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
>> Le 05/02/2013 21:47, Itamar Heim a écrit :
>>> you should be able to import as 'new' which will re-create all
>>> uuid's/mac/etc.
>>> otherwise, just edit the ovf.
>>> cc-ing moti to consider something better going forward
>>
>> Thank you to Shahar for your advice about the MAC address check.
>> I tried that, restarted the engine, but i failed the same.
> That should work..., if not its a bug
>>
>> I also tried Itamar's advice but here is what's happening:
>> - In the import windows, I select the VM, the system finds out the
>> destination cluster and storage.
>> - I then check the option "Clone All VMs" : the "suffix" option
>> appears, pre-filled with "_Copy".
>> - I already used it and it was working fine. This time, when
>> validating with "OK", the "Suffix" field gets colored into yellow
>> and I can not validate.
>> - I tried to change its content to something else but it has no effect.
>> - Of course, I already spent some times grepping the logs file
>> searching for the MAC, but did not find anything obvious.
>> - When the yellow border appears, nothing special is showing in the logs.
>>
>> So here, oVirt is trying to tell me something, but what?
> This is probably UI validation that failed to present the text.
> Try to rename the xxx_Copy to xxx_Copy2 or any other name that is not in use.

I already tried that, with no benefit.

I spent some more time on that and here what I found :

* 1 *
When trying to import a VM by cloning it and using a suffix (whatever
suffix), I get NO error in log (neither on the manager, nor in the
nodes), but I'm stuck with the yellow border around the suffix field,
and no way to validate my choice.

* 2 *
I succeed in importing directly the VM by NOT checking the "Clone All
VMs" box, and by checking the "Collapse All snapshots" box. Indeed, I
found in engine.log an error about snapshots, an INSERT was tried into
the database with a broken constrain key and a
'000000000000000000.0000.blah.blah.blah' snapshot reference.
Checking this box allowed a correct import of the VM.

Conclusion :
- Point 1 : I consider it would be nice to inform the user about what's
wrong, at least in the log files
- Point 2 : When not checking to collapse snapshot box, the import is
failing with an error speaking about a duplicated MAC address.
This is wrong.

Thank you to Shahar, Itamar and Alex who answered.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot