[Users] MAC in use when importing/cloning a VM

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 09:53:09 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> 2013/2/6 Shahar Havivi <shaharh at redhat.com>:
> >>
> >> Thank you to Shahar for your advice about the MAC address check.
> >> I tried that, restarted the engine, but i failed the same.
> > That should work..., if not its a bug
> >>
> >> I also tried Itamar's advice but here is what's happening:
> >> - In the import windows, I select the VM, the system finds out the
> >> destination cluster and storage.
> >> - I then chekc the option "Clone All VMs" : the "suffix" option
> >> appears, pre-filled with "_Copy".
> >> - I already used it and it was working fine. This time, when
> >> validating with "OK", the "Suffix" field gets colored into yellow
> >> and I can not validate.
> >> - I tried to change its content to something else but it has no
> >> effect.
> >> - Of course, I already spent some times grepping the logs file
> >> searching for the MAC, but did not find anything obvious.
> >> - When the yellow border appears, nothing special is showing in
> >> the logs.
> >>
> >> So here, oVirt is trying to tell me something, but what?
> > This is probably UI validation that failed to present the text.
> > Try to rename the xxx_Copy to xxx_Copy2 or any other name that is
> > not in use.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nicolas Ecarnot
>
> Hi,
> I'm getting also this "error" about duplicate MAC. I quoted error
> because I searched for this MAC on all my VMs and did not find
> another
> MAC being the same. What I've seen is that if the original MAC ends
> with :01, the new one (clone) has a MAC that ends with :02.
> I then start this new cloned VM and it works fine - after changing
> the
> MAC value on the network config files on the VM's SO.

How did you search for the MAC?
Perhaps there's some bug hidden here that the MAC is listed in the DB but you can't see it.

In such a case you can try to query the DB directly with this SQL:
select * from vm_interface where mac_addr = 'YOUR_MAC';

Of course you need to put your MAC, and then see if it returns anything.

In respect to the situation, I have started a thread on engine-devel at ovirt.org for the devs to decide how to handle this situation in a more graceful way: http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/engine-devel/2013-February/003665.html