[Users] HTML file display in Custom Tab

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 16:22:20 UTC 2013

Hi Satheesh,

> I find that there is usage of “ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8702/”
> within /etc/httpd/conf.d” ,which redirects whatever request which
> comes to server back to the engine-service which listens to port 8702.

Yes, all requests that come into Apache get redirected to Engine via AJP protocol by default. In future, we're planning to do the redirect only for specific URLs like '/engine/'.

There are (at least) two ways you can serve your custom content for your UI plugin:

1, use built-in Engine servlet for serving static plugin resources
   e.g. '/webadmin/webadmin/plugin/<pluginName>/start.html' would serve '/usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/<resourcePath>/start.html'
   see http://www.ovirt.org/Features/UIPlugins#UI_plugin_cheat_sheet for more details

2, modify Apache configuration to serve your custom content
   e.g. use ProxyPass directive in ovirt-engine.conf that takes effect before the AJP redirect takes effect

The first way is highly recommended since it allows your plugin to be packaged and distributed for use with Engine, with following file structure:
- /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/<yourPlugin>.json -> plugin descriptor
- /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/<yourPlugin>-files/start.html -> plugin host page
- /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/<yourPlugin>-files/* -> other static plugin resources (if necessary)
- /etc/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/<yourPlugin>-config.json -> plugin user configuration (optional, not part of plugin distribution package)

Hope this helps,
Vojtech