[Users] How do Networks and Vlan-tagging work in oVirt ?

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Tue Feb 12 10:36:26 UTC 2013

Le 11/02/2013 11:37, Matt . a écrit :
> I'm struggeling setting up my network in oVirt at the moment as I would
> like to seperate specific VM's from other devices/clients in my network.
>
> I have decent setup switching network using Vlans, this is also the fact
> for ovirt and the storage nodes where teh ports are seperated between
> storage and management.
>
> Because I want to manage which client can acces which VM I need Vlan
> tagging. The question is where are we going to do this, on the VM itself
> or on the network I attach the VM's Nic to.

Hi,

I have also some related questions about VLAN tagging.

In any linux, I can create some virtual interfaces dedicated to some
VLANs, like bond0:50
I was expecting oVirt to allow me to create such virtual interfaces, use
them in an oVirt "virtual network". Thus, any VM using this "virtual
network" would be insured to stay limited to this vlan.

I know I can create bond0:50 manually in Fedora, but I guess oVirt must
be implied in the network setup.

I also know I can setup my switches to make them do IP-vlan-tagging, but
the solution above looks smarter to me.

How do one usually do in that case?

--
Nicolas Ecarnot