[Users] How do Networks and Vlan-tagging work in oVirt ?

Matt . yamakasi.014 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:40:18 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

Thanks, this clears it more why we have VM and display options and how it's
used on the nics.

What hapens with me on a 3.2 installation when I want to attach a network
without IP (VM option or not) to a Nic I get the noticed error like I told
before:

Error while executing action Setup Networks: Illegal or Incomplete IP
Address

Here is the error from the log:

        eth2 {id=713f2687-6d84-4010-9076-fbfc67cf6831,
vdsId=033febb8-4f52-4253-bb6d-a8807816affd, name=eth2,
macAddress=00:1c:c4:d8:cb:36, networkName=LAN_TEST, bondName=null,
bootProtocol=NONE, address=, subnet=, gateway=null, mtu=0, bridged=false,
speed=1000, type=0, networkImplementationDetails=null}],
    removedNetworks=[],
    removedBonds=[]), log id: 7a99dbd1
2013-02-12 23:31:08,783 INFO
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.SetupNetworksVDSCommand]
(ajp--127.0.0.1-8702-10) [7289062c] FINISH, SetupNetworksVDSCommand, log
id: 7a99dbd1
2013-02-12 23:31:09,796 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.BrokerCommandBase]
(ajp--127.0.0.1-8702-10) [7289062c]
org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.VDSNetworkException:
VDSGenericException: VDSNetworkException: Specified netmask or gateway but
not ip
2013-02-12 23:31:09,797 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.VDSCommandBase] (ajp--127.0.0.1-8702-10)
[7289062c] Command SetupNetworksVDS execution failed. Exception:
VDSNetworkException: VDSGenericException: VDSNetworkException: Specified
netmask or gateway but not ip
2013-02-12 23:31:09,798 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.network.host.SetupNetworksCommand]
(ajp--127.0.0.1-8702-10) [7289062c] Command
org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.network.host.SetupNetworksCommand throw Vdc Bll
exception. With error message VdcBLLException:
org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.VDSNetworkException:
VDSGenericException: VDSNetworkException: Specified netmask or gateway but
not ip

Why does this happen on None Bootproto or DHCP ?