[Users] HA wirh oVirt

Vincent Van der Kussen vincent at vanderkussen.org
Wed Feb 13 21:30:00 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 04:19:21PM +0000, Alexandre Santos wrote:
> 2013/2/13 Jorick Astrego <jorick at netbulae.eu>:
> > On 02/13/2013 04:47 PM, Alexandre Santos wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I've been asked for a HA solution and I've been testing oVirt with a
> > NFS NAS and 2 hosts where I run 2 VMs that have a balancer at their
> > front, each on a different host. Now I'm thinking on the possibility
> > of a host malfunction and my question is: is there automatic migration
> > of the VMs that are running on this host to the other host?
> > Sorry if it is a silly question :-)
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > Bit of a silly question as it is listed on the homepage
> > (http://www.ovirt.org) ;->
> >
> > Packed with features
> >
> > choice of stand-alone Hypervisor or install-on-top of your existing Linux
> > installation
> > high availability
> > live migration
> > scheduled migration
> > Web-based management interface
> > iSCSI, FC, NFS, and local storage
> >

> > --
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Jorick Astrego
> >
> > Netbulae B.V.
> > Site:  http://www.netbulae.eu

Hi,

> Hi :-)
> I've been migrating VMs using the web administration but I need Power
> Management on each host so that the engine detects that a host is
> down, right?

Yes, it needs to be fenced.

Regarding the topic of this mail which grabbed my attention.
when I think about HA and oVirt I think about the following :

- oVirt Engine/RHEV-M can failover to an other host
- The shared storage is also available on the other side.

I've been testing migrating Engine in case it fails in a POC
by putting Engine in a KVM VM under control of pacemaker and
DRBD to drop the need of shared storage.

The storage part is something I haven't found a solid solution
for.  Maybe with DRBD, but there must be a better way i think.

Vincent