[Users] How do Networks and Vlan-tagging work in oVirt ?

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 09:37:46 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Moti Asayag  wrote:
>

> > You should follow the next steps:
> >
> > 1. Create a new logical network from the networks main tab: define
> > its
> > data-center and set its vlan-id to 50 (the VM network checkbox
> > should be
> > checked)
> > 2. Click on the created network in the networks main tab --->
> > Select the
> > 'Clusters' sub-tab and ---> click on 'Assign/Unassign Network' and
> > attach the network to the cluster (which contains the hosts that
> > are
> > expected to run the VMs).
> > 3. Click on 'hosts' sub-tab of the network main tab for the same
> > network. You should be able to see the cluster's hosts. Select a
> > host
> > and click on 'Setup Networks'.
> > 4. In the 'setup networks' dialog you would see the host's
> > interfaces on
> > the left side and the logical networks definition on the right.
> > Drag the network on top of an interface, or first drag a nic on top
> > of
> > another to create a bond and then drag the network to that bond.
> > A command will be sent from the engine to the vdsm on the host to
> > configure the desired network configuration.
> > 5. In order to persist the network configuration on the host you
> > can
> > check the 'save network configuration' from 4.
>
> Hello,
> I followed these steps to create a bonded VM network (no vlan
> tagging)
> with 3.2 beta.
> Only differences
> - assignement of network to cluster (step 2) can also be completed
> while in step 1)
>
> - step 3 : to see the host and setup networks for it you have to
> select the "unattached" check box
>
> I don't understand if and how I can put lan parameters if I don't use
> vlan tagging
> I don't see any option for that, when I edit the "network" itself or
> go through the "setup host networks"

Hi,

Can you please explain what do you mean by "lan parameters" that you're trying to set?

> For example the VMs that will attach to this new network that I
> called
> "client" will have ip of the form
> 10.10.10.x/24 with gw 10.10.10.1
>
> and eventually I would like to give an ip address to the created bond
> itself. Can I?

You can specify IP & Netmask statically on the interface that you attach the network to on the host.
During the setup networks command you can see a "pencil" button on the network which is on an interface (bond or NIC), click it and then you can see the boot protocol options.