[Users] oVirt 3.2 beta: Usb redirection and low level usb access

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 09:44:13 UTC 2013

Hello,
I'm testing a WIndows XP vm with native usb redirection and oVirt 3.2 beta

Currently I'm using a Fedora 17 client with Firefox 18

Some questions:
- when setting native usb redirection I still get the warning at bottom:
Migration is NOT currently supported using SPICE Native USB redirection

Is it still true? Any plan to overcome?

- when I'm in full screen of my windows XP VM, I plug an usb key into
client and I get (from my client OS) the message

Privileges are required for low level USB device access (for USB
device passthrough

and I have to put my password to get access to the usb device inside
the VM. I think I gain access because I'm part of wheels group, and
does this imply a normal user cannot attach usb?

Can I bypass this step?

see screenshot here (where there is also hw discovery for smartcard
enabled don't consider it....):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvUUR4VjJaVFgzcjg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Gianluca