[Users] Discussion... work appears to be needed in areas of recovery and cleanup

Rick Beldin rick.beldin at hp.com
Thu Feb 14 13:35:30 UTC 2013

Hi...

I've been working with both RHEV and Ovirt and can see distinct changes
and improvements with regards to how Ovirt is emerging and changing.

One area that still disturbs me is in the area of recovery and cleanup,
specifically around the ovirt-engine (rhevm) node.

I've observed a few things about the project:

- backup of a engine db seems to be a fairly manual process
  with many steps.  There are many files listed that need to be backed
  up manually as listed in the RHEVM admin manual. pg_dump seems to
  automate the dumping of the db, but other config files are left up
  to the admin.

- restoration appears to be equally complex

- engine-cleanup (rhevm-cleanup) doesn't always cleanup

- there appear to be instances where the only way to get a solid base
  is reinstallation.  I've removed and reinstalled components so many
  times it is now second nature.  ;)

I'm curious about:

- Are there technical issues (beyond the code not being written yet) that
  prevent backup and restore procedures from working correctly to save
  and restore an engine environment?   I would expect that a test for
  that operation would be to setup an environment, take a snapshot,
  and restore the whole thing to another management node.

- Are all the config files properly identified?  The RHEVM Admin
  manual has an extensive list but is it exhaustive?

- What technically prevents engine-cleanup from really *cleaning*
  a system?  My expectation would be that I should be able to run
  engine-cleanup and completely wipe out the setup.  All databases,
  certs, config files and the like returned to their original,
  pristine state.   Perhaps another script - engine-restore-defaults? -
  needs to go beyond where engine-cleanup goes today?

As a support professional, these are areas that I think warrant
investment and I wonder what is gating the development here.

Thanks,

Rick

| Rick Beldin                    |  Hewlett-Packard Company            |
| email: Rick.Beldin at hp.com      |                                     |
|        TCE&Q - Linux ERT       |  5555 Windward Parkway West         |
|                                |  Alpharetta, GA 30004               |