[Users] Move single vmdk (or else) disk into oVirt/RHEV

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Thu Feb 14 14:56:50 UTC 2013

Le 14/02/2013 15:05, Richard W.M. Jones a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 04:14:38PM +0100, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I find it hard to find any information about the way I have to
>> follow to convert/import a vmdk/qcow/raw/etc... single disk into an
>> oVirt disks list.
>>
>> I know how to use virt-v2v to import complete VMs (disk AND config),
>> but don't know how to handle a single data disk.
>
> Assuming it's a data disk with no operating system on it, then it's
> very likely the internal filesystem requires no conversion at all, so
> it's outside the scope of virt-v2v.
>
> However the disk format might need to be converted, eg. from VMDK to
> qcow2.  You can do this using 'qemu-img convert' or VMware's
> vdiskmanager program.
>
> I'm not sure about how you would import a disk into oVirt.  I guess
> that copying it onto the Export Storage Domain won't work because
> oVirt will expect a full guest config.
>
> Do you intend to attach this data disk to some existing VM?
>
> Rich.

That is exactly the case : it is indeed a pure data disk with an ext3
filesystem (no LVM, no nothing).
I intend to attach it to some existing VM.

I know how to convert it into qcow2 or whatever.
I know how to create an additionnal disk in oVirt.
I know I could trick the system by creating a disk in oVirt, then
replace its content by playing with dd, or exploring LVs indide my
domain master LUN.

But I must admit I was dreaming of some 'official' way to do that.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot