[Users] Move single vmdk (or else) disk into oVirt/RHEV

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 22:19:15 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Le 14/02/2013 16:43, Itamar Heim a écrit :
> >> That is exactly the case : it is indeed a pure data disk with an
> >> ext3
> >> filesystem (no LVM, no nothing).
> >> I intend to attach it to some existing VM.
> >>
> >> I know how to convert it into qcow2 or whatever.
> >> I know how to create an additionnal disk in oVirt.
> >> I know I could trick the system by creating a disk in oVirt, then
> >> replace its content by playing with dd, or exploring LVs indide my
> >> domain master LUN.
> >>
> >> But I must admit I was dreaming of some 'official' way to do that.
> >>

> > keith - any thoughts on ovirt-image-uploader being able to uplaod a
> > single disk?
> > ayal - on being able to import floating disks from the export
> > domain
> > rather than VMs
>
> This is indeed the ways I was expecting ovirt experts to follow :)

Actually there is work being done on importing floating disks that are created directly on data domains: http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/11783/
Using this method you'd be able to also avoid the double copy of the data (first to export domain then to data domain).
I'm hoping this will be merged in the next few days.
This too however relies on you being able to push such a disk directly into the domain (this is being done to support storage array cloning).

Wrt importing a single disk, it sounds reasonable.  Would you be interested in implementing this? if so we would be more than happy to guide you on where and how. If not, we'll add it to our list.