[Users] Failing on new setup

Jaco ubuntumuntu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 23:11:16 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

New to oVirt - and "new" to Fedora after a *very long* break @ using
Debian/Ubuntu almost exclusively for the last few years.
Much has changed, so please pardon my ignorance - got some catching-up
to do.

I'm doing PoC of a number of systems, so need to give oVirt a fair
shake, but I'm tripping up before I can even get going (does not bode well).

I've tried following the QuickStart, all-in-one & other guides, &
quickly came across issues.
Next I'll have to start building from source - a prospect that will by
no means present me with less issues.

New F18, minimal headless server.

Installed via yum as documented, but install failed at the last steps,
as there seems to be an issue with the scripts' implementation of firewalld.
A very nice chap @ the IRC channel managed to help be out to get over
that initial hurdle - had to *completely* disable firewalld & select the
'None' option for the setup. (seems like a really bad idea to start off
like that - disabling security - but this is a lab PoC, so OK, will let
it slide for now)
I've also disabled SELinux & IPtables via systemctl - so that we can
eliminate that as an issue.

Script(s) still don't complete without issue, but at lease the engine
seems to come up & I can log in.

After logging in, I try to (re)connect to the local hypervisor via
(root@) $FQDN, localhost & 127.0.0.1, but it fails to come up (why root?
OK....).
It adds the host, but there seems to be connectivity issues.

I'm seeing this in the GUI events:
Host localhost installation failed. Command returned failure code 1
during SSH session 'root at localhost'.

I'm seeing this in `tail -f /var/log/ovirt-engine/engine.log`
http://pastebin.com/nVyNGSsf
Relevant line being:
ERROR [org.ovirt.engine.core.utils.ssh.SSHDialog] (pool-3-thread-31) SSH
error running command root at localhost:'umask 0077; MYTMP="$(mktemp -t
ovirt-XXXXXXXXXX)"; trap "chmod -R u+rwX \"${MYTMP}\" > /dev/null 2>&1;
rm -fr \"${MYTMP}\" > /dev/null 2>&1" 0; rm -fr "${MYTMP}" && mkdir
"${MYTMP}" && tar -C "${MYTMP}" -x && "${MYTMP}"/setup
DIALOG/dialect=str:machine DIALOG/customization=bool:True':
java.io.IOException: Command returned failure code 1 during SSH session
'root at localhost'

This is a *fresh* box - I've reinstalled it a few times from scratch now
- & I've re-installed oVirt through the manners documented, but I'm not
getting anywhere fast.
In this, google is not my friend, as results are sparse & not very
helpful - i.e. if someone's found resolution, it has not been posted.

Either there's a bug in the docco's or the code/scripts.

Please help - I'd *really* like to give this a go

Kind regards

-Jaco