[Users] struggling with virt-v2v

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Wed Feb 20 08:06:48 UTC 2013

Le 19/02/2013 17:31, Jonathan Horne a écrit :
> [root at ovirtmgr home]# virt-v2v -i ova -osd 10.3.2.150:/opt/export
> --network ovirtmgmt ws08-srv-3.ova
>
> virt-v2v: Failed to connect to qemu:///system: libvirt error code: 38,
> message: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No
> such file or directory

Hi Jonathan,

According to my very recent experience, your issue seems related to the
following points I'm reading in the virt-v2v help :

>     -o method
>         Specifies the output method. Supported output methods are:
>
>         libvirt
>             Create a libvirt guest. *-os* must specify a libvirt storage
>             pool for the libvirt output method.
>
>             Also see the *-oc* option.
>
>         rhev
>             Create a guest on a RHEV 'Export' storage domain, which can
>             later be imported into RHEV using the UI. *-os* must specify the
>             location of a RHEV export storage domain for the RHEV output
>             method.
>
>         If no output type is specified, it defaults to libvirt.
>
>     -oc URI
>         Specifies the libvirt connection to use to create the converted
>         guest. If omitted, this defaults to qemu:///system when virt-v2v
>         runs as root, or qemu:///session when virt-v2v runs as a regular
>         user.

If I understand it well, you don't specify any output method (-o option)
so it defaults to libvirt output storage.
And you don't specify any libvirt connection, and you're running it as
root, so it defaults to qemu:///system and fails.

My recent successful migrations with virt-v2v were made without
specifying "-oc" option, but with telling "-o rhev".

HTH.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot