[Users] Introducing oVirt Monitoring UI-Plugin

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Tue Feb 26 20:24:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 07:21 -0500, Vojtech Szocs wrote:
> Hi René,
>
> first of all, great job on releasing the Monitoring UI Plugin!

Thanks a lot!

> The plugin itself (start.html) looks nice and easy, and the UI is awesome (almost identical to default oVirt UI).

That was my plan - the plugin should fit as good as possible into oVirt.

> I see that you use a combination of CGI/Perl + jQuery to render the sub-tab UI. We're actually planning to extend the plugin API to accept HTML DOM elements in addition to "content URL" so that plugin-specific UI can be built and attached to WebAdmin UI directly on client, using JavaScript frameworks such as jQuery, Backbone, etc. :)

Sounds really great.
I use Perl Template Toolkit and jQuery at the moment, but think that
Template Toolkit isn't really necessary as most of the HTML could be
done with plain HTML and jQuery as well.

> One question: in monitoring.js, after you call api.showDialog, you also call api.ready, but at that point api.ready has already been called, as it essentially kick-starts plugin initialization..

I'll skip the api.ready call - thanks for the information.

> Can I add your plugin to http://www.ovirt.org/Features/UIPlugins#Real-world_UI_plugins ?

Yes of course - thanks.

Regards,
René