[Users] mac address re-use

Keith Robertson kroberts at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 03:15:04 UTC 2013

On 01/07/2013 05:22 PM, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> my 3.2 install seems to be reusing mac address of formerly-deleted
> guests.  is this the normal behavior, and or can i turn this off?  i
> would prefer to have a unique mac address for each new VM created.
>
> thanks,
> jonathan

> This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the
> mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall
> not operate to bind SKOPOS to any order or other contract unless
> pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative
> expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.

I believe re-use is intentional.  I suspect oVirt uses the IEEE [1]
space allocated to Qumranet and that space is relatively small. There
were previous discussions on the list regarding the probability of
collisions/exhaustion, IIRC.  In any case, you want re-use to prevent
the possibility of exhaustion and because a program shouldn't just go
randomly creating addresses from any available OUI block.

Cheers,
Keith

[1] http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/public.html