[Users] OS-independent ovirt-engine distribution archive

Jiri Belka jbelka at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 08:20:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 04:24:11 -0500 (EST)
Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl at redhat.com> wrote:

> When using maven the whole concept of "official" archive is different.
> BSD ports build from source, so it should download sources, and
> sources do not include any of the external dependency nor binaries.
> Am I right so far?

Right, or more exactly... Building a source via ports mechanism
forbids that the build process to download any of the external
dependency or binaries.

> The problem with maven is that it downloads dependencies during
> source build, which is invalid approach as far as build methodology
> is concerned... but it is what it is.

Yes.

> The Fedora project added wrapper to force maven to use local
> repository and for maven artifacts to be installed at this local
> repository. This is healthy solution as you build dependencies as
> standard packages, then maven will fetch and use these local
> packages.

This is best way but I'm not able to maintain these build dependencies.

> What you seek is binary distribution so ports will use binaries, is
> that matches *BSD policy?

Using just binaries is fine for ports mechanism, for example tomcat
on OpenBSD uses binaries, my WIP jboss port uses official binaries too.

jirib