[Users] Testing High Availability and Power outages

Alexandru Vladulescu avladulescu at bfproject.ro
Sun Jan 13 19:49:25 UTC 2013

Dear Doron,

I had the case retested now and I am writing you the results.

Furthermore, if this information should be useful for you, my network
setup is the following: 2 Layer 2 (Zyxel es2108-g & ES2200-8) switches
configured with 2 VLANs ( 1 inside backbone network -- added br0 to
Ovirt ; 1 outside network -- running on ovirtmgmt interface for Internet
traffic to VMs). The backbone switch is a gigabit capable one, and each
host runs on jumbo frame setup. There is one more firewall server that
routes the subnets through trunking port and VLAN configuration. The
Ovirt software has been setup with backbone network subnet.

As you could guess the network infrastructure is not the problem here.

The test case was the same as described before:

1. Vm running on Hyper01, none on Hyper02. Host had configured the High
Available check box.
2. Hand power off of Hyper01 from power network (no soft/manual shutdown).
3. After a while, Ovirt marks the Hyper01 as Non Responsive
4. Manually clicked on Confirm host reboot and the VM starts after
Ovirt's manual fence to Hyper01 on Hyper02 host.

I have provided engine log attached. The Confirm Host reboot was done at
precise time of 21:31:45 On the cluster section, in Ovirt, I did try
changing the "Resilience Policy" attribute from "Migrate Virtual
Machines" to "Migrate only High Available Virtual Machines" but with the
same results.

As I am guessing from the engine log the Node Controller sees the
Hyper01 node as it has a "network fault" no route to host, although this
was shut down.

Is this supposed to be the default behavior in this case, as the
scenario might overlap with a real case of network outage.

My Regards,
Alex.