[Users] 3.1 to 3.2 migration

Alexandru Vladulescu avladulescu at bfproject.ro
Thu Jan 24 09:59:14 UTC 2013

Dear Adrian,

By migration I mean to say "migration of the products from 3.1 to 3.2 --
or upgrade of the Ovirt platform". The test upgrade was done, in my
case, on a machine that only acts as a node controller in the system,
therefore there is no ISO domains, local storage volumes or vdsm daemon
for hypervisior purpose running.

Using, dreyou's repo, I included the 3.2 alpha release, removed the 3.1
version clean from the system, install all the 3.2 ovirt packages
version and run engine-setup on the new installation.

I did not run engine-cleanup, therefore the DB was untouched and running
engine-setup, I saw that the DB initialization sequence was pushing new
table & data updates on the running DB from postgres as the new size
went from 10MB to 15MB.

After completing the setup, I was only able to login into the http
section configured to port 80, but going to admin portal on 443 proved
to be impossible as the "page could not be displayed" was listed.

In 3.1 I am using port 8080 for http and 8443 for https, but in the 3.2
version, trying to configure in the engine-setup to run same or other
ports different from 80 and 443, proved to make the (jboss server) not
listening on https connections when tried to log in.

As a remark, I saw a different integration mechanism between 3.1 and 3.2
versions, on how jboss interacts with ovirt-engine process. In 3.1 the
jboss was running (if configured) on -server daemon process (in
netstat); and if not configured as java; and in 3.2 the jboss process I
guess it's started withing the engine-service process (seen that in
netstat -tupan).

I might add, that I don't want to strictly run the jboss with https
adding in apache files in conf.d the ovirt-engine.conf (where the
ProxyPass is added).

Reading the list, I could not find any threads open so far for the 3.1
to 3.2 migration (upgrade/update platform), therefore I had open this in
hope that someone else has tested this so far.I'm guessing the 3.2 as we
know it, it not a stable release yet, so, some bugs or incompatibility
issues might arise during the upgrade/swap versions process.

Any thoughts on this ?

My regards to you all,
Alex.