[Users] RAID1 mirror on ovirt-node + engine nfs server

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Thu Jul 4 16:18:54 UTC 2013

Hi.

I've been reading about ovirt, and ready to try my own experiments with
it.  I have two small questions..

When an ovirt-node is installed from the standard ISO, there's no
mention in the documentation about setting up a RAID1 mirror for the
root disk on the node.  I'm sure that once I get around to working out
kickstarting the node, I could easily install the raid1 mirror, but I'm
just wondering why I don't see that in the default ISO. Maybe I'm just
missing something.  Is redundancy of the disk on the node not
important?  Sure, if the node goes down, I guess the VMs could be run on
other nodes, but if we can prevent the node from going down in the first
place, then why not?

I also have a question about the storage backend.  In particular, I have
a pretty powerful server that I intend to use as the NFS server, and a
few servers to use as nodes.  On the other hand, I don't have a powerful
machine (at the moment) to use for the ovirt-engine.  Would it be poor
practice to run the ovirt-engine ON the NFS server?  During engine
setup, I see that you can setup an NFS share for ISOs from the
ovirt-engine, but I don't think there's mention of just generalized
storage there.  I suspect it's "poor practice", but I thought I'd ask
anyway.   My setup will be relatively small (say, 4 nodes), and this
would let me reduce 1 general server from the infrastructure (dedicated
ovirt-engine).

Thanks! :)

Jason.

ps: At the moment, I am not subscribed to users - please cc: me on