[Users] NIC problem with ovirt node

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Sat Jul 13 13:04:37 UTC 2013

Quoting Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com>:

> On 07/12/2013 11:27 PM, Jason Keltz wrote:

> please open a bug to improve the usability if you couldn't see it...

I will do this.

>>> Happy to help (and yes it was hard to see...)
>>>
>> Actually, Mike -- two of my networks were private and didn't need a
>> gateway... but two are public, and need a gateway!  Unfortunately, the
>> interface seems to be missing that option!?  It lets you configure an
>> IP, and a subnet mask, but where's the option for specifying a gateway
>> if you're specifying static addresses... (my guess is that it picks up
>> the gateway if you're using DHCP).
>
> multiple gateways?
> something like this?
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Multiple_Gateways

Yes.  Sort of -- simpler actually.
I have 4 network interfaces in each node.
My "management" network consists of a 1 Gbit switch connected to all
the servers in our machine room.  Here, I don't need to specify a
gateway since servers on this network talk to only each other.
Actually, I'm surprised I can't rename ovirtmgmt to something else to
generalize it as just a "management network", but it's not a big deal,
I guess.
My "Storage" network consists of a 1 Gbit switch now - 10 Gbit soon.
Again, I don't need to specify a gateway here.
Finally, the last 2 NICs are connected to the external network - a
building switch that another Department controls.  Here, I definately
need to specify a gateway, but of course with the current setup, I
can't.  I will either have to hard code the gateway for these
connections, or use DHCP.
Since there is only one "gateway" for the external connectivity, all
on the same VLAN, I don't think I need the more complicated iproute2
setup here.  I prefer to stay away from that if I can...

I'm surprised this isn't a more common configuration.

Jason.