[Users] Unable to view console via SPICE method on EL6.

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Sat Jul 13 13:42:56 UTC 2013

Quoting Jason Keltz <jas at cse.yorku.ca>:

> Quoting Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com>:
>
>> On 07/13/2013 06:52 AM, Jason Keltz wrote:
>>> I'm running with theEL6 release of ovirt-engine:
>>>
>>> ovirt-engine.noarch 3.2.2-1.1.el6                  @ovirt-stable
>>>
>>> After creating a virtual machine, I cannot view the console if protocol
>>> is set to "SPICE".  If the protocol is set to VNC, I can view the
>>> console, but it's not very convenient since I have to load a separate
>>> VNC viewer, and enter the IP and port of the engine, and a randomly
>>> generated password each time. How does one make console work via SPICE?
>>> Is this a known issue because RHEL6 wouldn't have all the updated
>>> libraries of later a later Fedora release?
>>>
>> which client are you using?
>
> Actually, I realize the problem now... my client was a Windows client.
> The server is EL6, the VM is EL6.  I'll try with a Linux client later.
> I'm sure it will work.  It's not clear whether SPICE will also require
> entering a randomly generated password.  The problem is the randomly
> generated password.  There's probably a way to fix that as well... I
> just need to look more.  oVirt is terrific, but finding all the
> information from a variety of sources and putting it all together can
> be tricky .. but I like a challenge! :)

Actually, I had another thought after clicking send.... You know, I
sit writing this email on a Chromium device where SPICE won't work,
and neither will VNC (at least to my knowledge).  Even if I had access
to VNC here, I still couldn't see the console because I'm not
connected to the management network (without some fancy SSH
tunneling).  It would sure be nice if there was a truly multiplatform
way of handling the oVirt consoles, and having the viewer integrated
so that as long as I can login to the engine, I can view, no matter
where I am.  Dreaming? :) I don't think so - I just woke up! :)

Jason.