[Users] f19 guest in oVirt 3.2.2 considerations

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 08:01:21 UTC 2013

On Jul 14, 2013, at 15:28 , Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 09:35:21PM +0200, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
>> Successfully installed f19 x86_64 guest desktop via pxe.
>> Vm configured in oVirt as other linux
>>
>> run yum update after install
>>
>> qemu-kvm process command line on host for this VM contains:
>>
>> -vga qxl -global qxl-vga.vram_size=671088
>>
>> On F19 VM xorg qxl driver automatically installed and used and also
>> spice-vdagent
>> I had to manually install ovirt-guest-agent from standard fedora repo
>> --> perhaps it would be nice to have it some sort of automatically
>> installed in oVirt guest... how?
>>

>> I put guest in full screen, aka in my setup 1680x1050
>> Able to use gnome 3 even if quite slow.
>>
>> As soon as I start firefox and begin to use it I get this in Xorg.0.log

>> [   789.615] - 3th attempt
>> [   789.615] - OOM at 640 360 32 (= 921600 bytes)
>> [   789.615] Cache contents:  null null null null null null null null
>> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
>> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
>> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
>> null null null null null null null  956 1008 null null  974 1017 1020
>>   total: 5
>> [   789.627] - 4th attempt
>> [   789.627] - OOM at 640 360 32 (= 921600 bytes)
>> [   789.627] Cache contents:  null null null null null null null null
>> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
>> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
>> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
>> null null null null null null null  956 1008 null null  974 1017 1020
>>   total: 5
>> [   789.639] Out of video memory: Could not allocate 924160 bytes
>>
>> Is there any way to customize spice video memory?
>
> Engine passes a specParam named "vram" for the memory size. Eli, I have
> a vague memory that it was tunabled. Am I right?

it may be, but then in vdsm for each video device we set it to 65536K if there is only one monitor or 32768K when there are more. This is currently hardcoded
Also, check out bug 787578 which we planned for 3.3 but it missed it, unfortunately.

> If not, you could set a vdsm hook to tweak it.

that seems to be the only way at the moment…

Thanks,
mcihal