[Users] Cannot connect via spice-html5. & How to use noVnc?

Michal Skrivanek mskrivan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 09:08:11 UTC 2013

On Jul 16, 2013, at 10:52 , lof yer <lofyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/7/16 Michal Skrivanek <mskrivan at redhat.com>
>
> On Jul 16, 2013, at 08:46 , Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On 07/16/2013 07:16 AM, lof yer wrote:
> >> Since the spice and monitor option are greyed out in IE10, I have to use
> >> vnc in Windows OS now.
> >> When will it come back?
>
> I guess there's a bit of confusion…
>

> > michal - shouldn't mime base be available?
>
> indeed
>
> what you can use in latest oVirt (master/3.3) is:
> SPICE with virt-viewer (standalone client), invoked via ActiveX plugin
>         deploy as descibed at http://www.ovirt.org/How_to_Connect_to_SPICE_Console_With_Portal
>         needs IE8+
> SPICE with virt-viewer (standalone client), invoked via download of MIME file
>         browser prompts you where to open the file - associate with the virt-viewer application (needs to be a recent one)
>         works in all browsers/platforms
> SPICE with spice-html5 (integrated client)
>         you need IE11 or (decently recent) Firefox or Chrome
>         opens in a new page, no client-side installation required, however you need to deploy and set up ovirt-websocket-proxy, typically on engine host.
> VNC with novnc(integrated client)
>         same as spice-html5
> VNC with virt-viewer or other VNC client (standalone), invoked via MIME
>         again, works in all browsers
> RDP with rdesktop or native Microsoft client, invoked via MIME
>         works in all browsers, however the format of the downloaded file is only recognizable by the native Microsoft RDP client
>
> you need to check in display options dialog the way how the console is invoked(plugin or mime or auto based on your platform/browser)
>
> If anything is not according to the options above please let me know
>
> Thanks,
> michal
>

> >> 2013/7/16 Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com <mailto:iheim at redhat.com>>
> >>
> >>    On 07/15/2013 04:26 PM, lofyer wrote:
> >>
> >>        On 2013/7/15 15:29, Frantisek Kobzik wrote:
> >>
> >>            Hmm, that's strange - in current implementation IE support
> >>            is turned
> >>            off (because IE version < 11 doesn't implement some supporting
> >>            functions correctly). Wasn't the spice-html5 option greyed
> >>            out in the
> >>            Console Options?
> >>
> >>            SpiceX.cab is not related to spice-html5 - it is used for
> >>            invoking
> >>            console via browser plugin.

Thanks, indeed that's a bug
You can try in Firefox or Chrome, it should work there. The reason is in one part of code we assume that since you have Windows and IE10 you should have the ActiveX plugin (the only supported way before 3.3) and grays out the option because you didn't install the plugin. We should allow the options dialog every time.
So..workaround for you right now is
- install ActiveX plugin correctly - http://www.ovirt.org/How_to_Connect_to_SPICE_Console_With_Portal
or
- use Firefox