[Users] VLANs and oVirt 3.1

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Tue Jul 23 21:54:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013, Martin Goldstone wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2013 21:34, "Jason Keltz" <jas at cse.yorku.ca> wrote:
> >
> > In my test setup for oVirt 3.1, I have 3 switches -- two basic ones with
> no VLAN support for mgmt, and storage, and a building switch with VLAN
> support.  The network operations team has configured a trunk with 2 dual 1
> Gb links on the building switch.  If I configure the two network interfaces
> in oVirt  with binding mode 4, and assign a logical network to the link
> without specifying a VLAN, it works fine.  I'm told the default untagged
> VLAN is 494 (which is what I want).  On the other hand, if I simply
> hard-code VLAN 494 in the logical network setup, it doesn't work - I get no
> network traffic. I'm told that the switch is setup correctly, and the
> problem is on my side.  How can I debug?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason.
> >

> That sounds normal to me. Traffic coming in on the native untagged VLAN
> wouldn't appear on the VLAN interface. I have a similar set up, and I've
> assigned an unused VLAN as the native VLAN on the trunk, added the VLANs I
> care about to the allowed VLANs list, and created the appropriate tagged
> logical networks.

Thanks, Martin. I thought that the native VLAN would come through on the
VLAN interface as well.  While this would explain why I couldn't get at
VLAN 494, it wouldn't explain why I couldn't get at another of the VLANS
on the same link -- still no traffic.  I do a tcpdump and see nothing (but
the LACP stats show the link is up).

Jason.