[Users] NFS data domain use host + local storage question

René Koch (ovido) r.koch at ovido.at
Thu Jul 25 15:18:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 09:55 -0400, Jason Keltz wrote:
> On 07/25/2013 09:27 AM, René Koch (ovido) wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-07-25 at 09:07 -0400, Jason Keltz wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> I have a few questions about data domains...
> >>
> >> I'm not sure that I understand why when adding a new NFS data domain
> >> what the "Use Host" is for?
> >>
> >>   From the RHEV documentation -  "All communication to the storage domain
> >> is from the selected host and not directly from the Red Hat Enterprise
> >> Virtualization Manager. At least one active host must be attached to the
> >> chosen Data Center before the storage is configured. "
> >>
> >> .. but I'm puzzled..  don't all the nodes mount the NFS storage directly
> >> from the NFS storage server?
> >> Is this saying that if I have two nodes, v1 and v2, and I say "Use Host"
> >> v1 then v2 gets at storage through v1?  What if v1 is down?
> >> Don't all nodes need a connection to the "logical" storage network?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > You need a host to initialize the storage.
> > The host you have to choose with "Use Host" initially creates the data
> > structure,... on the storage.
> >
> > Afterwards all host in your cluster will mount the storage and write
> > data for their vms. There's no one-node bottleneck.
> >
> Great!  Got it .. thanks..
>
> >> ---
> >>
> >> On the topic of local storage...
> >> Right now, I have one node with 1 disk (until some ordered equipment
> >> arrives)...
> >> /data/images is /dev/mapper/HostVG-Data
> >>
> >> I want two of my nodes to store local data.  The majority of VMs will
> >> use the NFS datastore, but a few VMs need local storage, and I'd like to
> >> split these VMs across two nodes, so two nodes will have their own local
> >> storage...
> >
> > So you will have vm storage on node01, node02 and on your NFS storage,
> > right?
> >

> All the VMs on node01 and node02 would be stored on the NFS datastore.
> Most of the VMs would have any required data stored on the NFS datastore
> as well.
> A few of the VMs on node01 and node02 would have a requirement for a
> local data store.
>
> >> If I was going to install local data on the node, I wouldn't install it
> >> on the OS disk - I'd want another disk, or maybe even a few disks!    If
> >> I added another disk to this system, how would I go about making *this*
> >> disk "/data/images" instead of the root disk? Do I have to reinstall the
> >> node?
> > I would recommend to use LVM and add new disks into your logical
> > volume...
> If I added another disk, would I be able to remove the existing
> datastore through the engine, and create a new one pointing at only the
> new disk?

Afaik if you add another local data store the existing one will become
inaccessible from within oVirt. If I remember correctly a new datacenter
and new storage domain will be created and the original one will be
dropped from oVirt, but still contains data.

> >> I'm also puzzled by this statement: "A local storage domain can be set
> >> up on a host. When you set up host to use local storage, the host
> >> automatically gets added to a new data center and cluster that no other
> >> hosts can be added to. Multiple host clusters require that all hosts
> >> have access to all storage domains, which is not possible with local
> >> storage. Virtual machines created in a single host cluster cannot be
> >> migrated, fenced or scheduled. "
> >>
> >> So .. let's say I have two nodes, both of them have some local disk, and
> >> use the NFS data store.  I can see why I wouldn't be able to migrate a
> >> host from one node to the other IF that has was using local data storage
> >> for the specific virtual machine.  On the other hand, if it's a VM that
> >> is NOT using local storage, and everything is in the NFS datastore, then
> >> does this I can't migrate it because each host would have to be in its
> >> own cluster only because it has local storage for *some* of the VMs!?
> >
> > Each local storage host requires it's own datacenter and you can't mix a
> > datacenter with local storage with NFS storage.
> sigh.  This seems so rigid!  I understand, for example, why clusters
> must encompass same CPU type.  I do not understand why a host cannot
> connect to both local data storage, and NFS storage.
>
> > What I would do in your case:
> > 1. Use CentOS/Fedora hosts instead of oVirt-Node.
> > 2. Configure NFS-Server on each Node.
> > 3. Have 1 datacenter with 1 cluster and 2 nodes with storage type NFS.
> > 4. Add 3 storage data domains (NFS-Share of each host and NFS-Share of
> > your main NFS server).
> > 5. Bind vms with local NFS server to local host...
> I never thought of that... very interesting!   I was really trying not
> to use anything but oVirt node to keep the implementation as simple as
> possible. The only problem here if I understand correctly is that each
> node is still accessing even its local data via NFS, in which case, they
> might as well be storing the data on the NFS server itself!  :)

Yes, in this scenario a node accesses its local data via its local NFS
server. I have this setup in production on customer side where nodes
have a lot of disk space and I/O isn't a criteria.

I personally always configure local NFS servers instead of local storage
as I have better experience with it (had some issues with local
storage).

I also prefer a CentOS/Fedora host over oVirt-node as it's easier to
manually configure network (this is sometimes needed) or troubleshoot /
install monitoring and backup tools or kernel modules for specifiy
network adapters,... as on oVirt node. Others may prefer oVirt node due
to easy update possibility :)

> > Or with GlusterFS:
> > 1. Use CentOS/Fedora hosts instead of oVirt-Node.
> > 2. Configure replicated GlusterFS volume over your 2 nodes
> > 3. Have 1 datacenter with 1 cluster and 2 nodes with storage type NFS
> > 4. Add 2 storage data domains (NFS-Share of GlusterFS volume and
> > NFS-Share of your main NFS server).
> >
> > Disadvantage of GlusterFS with NFS: one of your 2 nodes is exporting the
> > NFS share and if this node is down your storage domain is down and you
> > have to manually fix the mount.
> Agreed.
> >> Finally - I had previously asked about using MD RAID1 redundancy on the
> >> root drive, which isn't available yet on the node.  Are there any
> >> options for creating redundant local storage using MD RAID1, or it's the
> >> same -- no redundancy on local storage unless you're using a RAID card
> >> where the driver for that card has been integrated into the node?
> >
> > MD-Raid or DRBD,... isn't possible, (yet?).
> > You could try GlusterFS 3.4 (replicated volume over your 2 nodes)...
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> Thanks very much for your useful feedback.

You're welcome.