[Users] CentOS 6.4 + Ovirt 3.2 + NFS Backend Problems

squadra squadra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 11:26:30 UTC 2013

Hi Karli,

i already thought that i am the only one with that combination ;)

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Karli Sjöberg <Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se> wrote:

> **
> ons 2013-07-24 klockan 23:35 +0200 skrev squadra:
>
> Maybe found a workaround on the NFS server side, a option for the mountd
> service
>

>       -S      Tell mountd to suspend/resume execution of the nfsd threads
> when-
>
>              ever the exports list is being reloaded.  This avoids
> intermit-
>
>              tent access errors for clients that do NFS RPCs while the
> exports
>
>              are being reloaded, but introduces a delay in RPC response
> while
>
>              the reload is in progress.  If mountd crashes while an
> exports
>
>              load is in progress, mountd must be restarted to get the nfsd
>
>              threads running again, if this option is used.
>

>  so far, i was able to reload the exports list twice, without any random
> suspended vm. lets see if this is a real solution or if i just had luck two
> times.
>

> It would seem as if we are on the same boat:) Actually I hadn´t thought
> about it before, but you´re right; issuing a "service mountd reload" does
> pause a large number of VM´s, frickin annoying really. I mean, the NFS
> server doesn´t care what or who it´s serving, you could be creating a new
> export for a completely different system, and not even have oVirt in mind
> before customers start to call, wondering why their VM´s have stopped
> responding!?

exactly the same i have

> I actually tried that "-S" but it didn´t work for me at all, and looking
> at the man-page for mountd, there´s no mention of it either, even though we
> are presumably running the same version:
> # uname -r
> 9.1-RELEASE
>
> Or are you perhaps tracking "-STABLE", and there´s a minor difference
> there?

i am tracking -STABLE, but the Man Page of "mountd" on a 9.1 Stable
(Snapshot Release) also shows -S Parameter

9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #0: Sun Jul  7 10:53:46 UTC 2013
root at snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #6: Thu Jul 18 02:41:57 CEST 2013
root at filer1.intern.
´

both systems provide -S for the mountd, and so far i didnt have any more
problems. lets see if this keeps going good.

>  but i am still interested in parameters which make the vdsm more
> tolerant to short interruptions. instant suspend of a vm after such a short
> "outage" is not very nice.
>

> +1!
>

> /Karli

Cheers,