[Users] CentOS 6 and multiple ISCSI interfaces/multipath

Gary Lloyd g.lloyd at keele.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 10:25:17 UTC 2013

Dan Yasny <dyasny at ...> writes:

> This is an old issue with EQL, best practice is to have different iSCSI
paths on different subnets or VLANs, and to login to every iSCSI portal when
you create the storage domain.

gMJiioYAC8g at public.gmane.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've recently started looking at oVirt to provide the next iteration of
our virtualization infrastructure, as we have recently acquired some ISCSI
storage. Up to now, we've been using KVM managed by libvirt/virt-manager
locally on each of our hosts, using direct attached storage, which was
obviously less than ideal.

> In setting it all up, I've hit a bit of a snag. We've got 4 GbE network
interfaces on our pilot host (running vdsm on CentOS 6.4) which are
connected to our storage arrays (equallogic). I've created 4 interfaces with
iscsiadm for these and bound them, but when setting up the discs in oVirt,
I've not seen a way of telling it which interfaces to use. The node makes
the connection to the target successfully, but it seems its only connecting
via the "default" iscsi interface, and not making a connection via each
interface that I've defined. Obviously this means I can't use multipath, and
being only GbE interfaces it means I'm not getting the performance I should.

> I've done some searching via Google, but I've not really found any thing
that helps. Perhaps I've missed something, but can anyone give me any
pointers for getting this to work across multiple interfaces?

> Thanks?
>
> Martin
dEQiMlfYlSzYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.orghttp://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/listin
fo/users

Hi Dan

I work with Martin.

The problem we are having seems to be with regards to how ovirt/vdsm manages
iscsi sessions and not how our server is connected. I have manually tested
iscsiadm on the same machine(Centos 6.4) and we are indeed getting multiple
sessions from 2 ifaces with mpio working via dm-multipath, etc.

vdsm however does not appear to be logging into the targets using the ifaces
we use in iscsiadm, I have tried adding this to /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf, but it
makes little difference:

[irs]
iscsi_default_ifaces = eth2,eth3

Thanks