[Users] Fedora 19 and oVirt

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 06:24:31 UTC 2013

On 06/20/2013 12:22 AM, Nicholas Kesick wrote:
> I know for the past couple releases, oVirt has been released after a
> Fedora release (e.g. 3.1 shortly after Fedora 17, 3.2 shortly after
> Fedora 18). Based on the meeting notes it looks like 3.3 will release 6
> weeks after Fedora 19 if both timelines hold steady.
>
> Will oVirt 3.2 be supported or work in Fedora 19? I noticed that 3.1 is
> what is in the Fedora 19 repo.
> Will oVirt 3.2 ever be pushed to Fedora 18 updates repo? Currently it's
> 3.1 which I think is broken in 18, no?

we started by pushing ovirt engine into fedora planning to push it fully
and maintain it.
however, we cannot push the webadmin, which requires GWT to be part of
fedora and various efforts to push it to fedora didn't succeed.
so in any case, for a useful ovirt-engine, you would need the ovirt repo's.

another issue is upgrades. since fedora doesn't fully support upgrades
(the upgrade usually works, but the applications from the previous
version tend to break due to the massive changes from the upgrade).

so i think fedora is great to use as the development environment, which
requires using versions still not available for the more stable distros
(.el6 RHEL/CentOS for example), and for I want to see how greatest and
latest looks like from nightly.
but for a deployment with rolling upgrades, I suggest using the .el6 one
(oVirt 3.2.1 added .el6 support and 3.3 will improve it a bit via
Bug 927874 - Support prioritized emulated machines to support .el6 out
of the box

> I'm also surprised oVirt 3.2/3.3 isn't listed on the Feature Page -
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/19/FeatureList
> I always add the oVirt repos, but I wasn't sure if the aim was for oVirt
> in the Fedora repos.

its not in the feature pages since while we maintain a repo for fedora,
we can't push the full engine and you would need the repo anyway.

vdsm, sdk's, cli etc still make sense in fedora, but not sure if their
updates to 3.3 require a fedora feature page or not.