[Users] oVirt support for backup/restore

Jiri Belka jbelka at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 12:24:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 12:52:53 +0100
Ricky Schneberger <ricky at schneberger.se> wrote:

> > Live snapshot does not save memory state, IIRC. So either shutdown all
> > VMs or do not think about this as solid backup solution.
> >

> Hi, If I dont think about it as a solid solution, is it doable?
> Even with a manual live snapshot I will lack this memory state, right?
>
> All I want if I must restore a snapshot is to get the WM up on track in
> an earlier state.

The "snapshot" like in VMWare world which saves even memory is called
checkpoint in qemu-kvm world. And IIRC it is not implemented yet.

Live snapshot is doable, no problem. The problem can be your design. As
you know a lot of apps do not write to filesystem immediately, so
snapshot backup is useless. So either shutdown/think twice or forget it.

But others can have different view... Backup is thing you _must_ trust,
if you design is broken, the consequences are terrific! If your goal is
to have fast disaster recovery, then why not to have backup machine or
some clustered solution?

jbelka