[Users] clone vm from snapshot problem in 3.2

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 14:13:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Alissa Bonas  wrote:

>> 2)
>> KO, if I clone a windows 7 VM from a snapshot (time 17:09) I get this
>> on gui
>> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvaW9OVW84WVI1dkU/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> You can find the engine.log from server restart (at 17:06) here:
>> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvTDQzRTFfbFgxX0E/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> Are there any restrictions?
>> The VM was powered off when taking the snapshot and making the clone.
>
> Hi Gianluca,
>
> Regarding the second item you mentioned - failure of the clone vm from snapshot,
> the engine log indicates that the  following error occurred  "Volume Group not big enough" - suggesting you might check if you have enough free space.

Yes, you are right. I thought I had selected a storage domain with
sufficient free space but probably it was not so.

I just repeated the operation, creating a snapshot and then a clone of
the same VM and selecting an SD with sufficient free space, and it
completed correctly with the cloned VM able to boot.
I take the occasion to suggest oVirt to at least behave this way:

1) pre-calculate necessary space and in case of problems don't start
the clone operations but send a warning message impeding it

If during 1) all was ok and in the mean time went KO (unexpected new
storage allocated that made impossible clone completion)
2) notify the user with the actual problem (insufficient space) and
not those crypic messages....
see the already pointed link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvaW9OVW84WVI1dkU/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,