[Users] Unable to get managed connection for java:/ENGINEDataSource

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 17:28:11 UTC 2013

On 03/05/2013 05:24 PM, Dennis Böck wrote:
> Dear oVirt-Users,
>
> since I had a typo in my engine-setup I did a engine-cleanup, a reboot and started again.
> Unfortunately now the engine doesn't come up any more. Obviously there are problems accessing the database:
>
> 2013-03-05 17:13:08,078 ERROR [org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.Backend] (MSC service thread 1-32) Error in getting DB connection. The database is inaccessible. Original exception is: DataAccessResourceFailureException: Error retreiving database metadata; nested exception is org.springframework.jdbc.support.MetaDataAccessException: Could not get Connection for extracting meta data; nested exception is org.springframework.jdbc.CannotGetJdbcConnectionException: Could not get JDBC Connection; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: javax.resource.ResourceException: IJ000453: Unable to get managed connection for java:/ENGINEDataSource
>
> I already tried:
> yum erase ovirt-engine
> yum earse postresql-server
> and installed it again, but it didn't help.
>
> Does anyone have an idea?
>
> Best regards and thanks in advance
> Dennis

In the /etc/sysconfig/ovirt-engine file you should have the details of
the connection to the database, in particular you should have something
like this:

   ENGINE_DB_URL=jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/engine

Are you using "localhost" as in this example? If that is the case then
check that the database is listening in right address and port:

   # netstat --listen --tcp --numeric --program | grep postgres
   tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:5432          0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      10424/postgres

Then also check that connection to the database is working:

   psql --host localhost --port 5432 --user engine --password engine
   Password for user engine:
   psql (9.2.3)
   Type "help" for help.

   engine=>

You may also run a simple query to check that the tables are there:

   engine=> select count(*) from vdc_options;
    count
   -------
      346
   (1 row)

Hopefully, if there is an error, the output of these commands will give
you a hint.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain