[Users] problem with all-in-one ovirt install on Centos 6.3 related to hostname resolution

Frederic Bevia f.bevia at cg33.fr
Wed Mar 6 09:23:53 UTC 2013

Hello,
First, i apologise if it's the wrong place for my question.
I had try to install ovirt all-in-one on a Centos6 test server, following this
howtos: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/oVirt,
http://blog.jebpages.com/archives/up-and-running-with-ovirt-3-1-edition/ and
http://www.ovirt.org/Quick_Start_Guide.
I followed the pre-requisites, cpu, ram, disks, packages etc..
My server is a test server with fresh new Centos 6.3 install, and so, it's in a
lan séparated from the main prod lan.
But It hass acces to Internet and DNS, but it isn't registred in our DNSs.
Simply it's declared in his own hostfile ( /etc/hosts/). It's fqdn is
srv-santos.cg33.fr (note the lame joke :-)), and when I ping it from himself
(ping srv-santos;cg33.fr), the ping is OK (idem with ping localhost). When with
 python i do this:
gethostbyname('srv-santos.cg33.fr')
'172.18.93.215'
the response is OK.
So the OS himself can resolve is own hostname via the hosts file, since it isn't
in DNS. I also checked that in the resolv.conf, the order is hosts, bind.
But when i do the engine-set-up i obtain this:
srv-santos.cg33.fr did not resolve into an IP address
User input failed validation, do you still wish to use it? (yes|no):
If i say yes, the install pursue, but it fails:

"Error: There's a problem with JBoss service.Check that it's up and rerun setup.
Please check log file /var/log/ovirt-engine/engine-setup_2013_03_06_09_52_24.log
for more information"

The last lines of the log
 -->File "/usr/share/ovirt-engine/scripts/plugins/all_in_one_100.py", line 216,
in waitForJbossUp
    utils.retry(isHealthPageUp, tries=45, timeout=350, sleep=5)
  File "/usr/share/ovirt-engine/scripts/common_utils.py", line 929, in retry
    return func()
  File "/usr/share/ovirt-engine/scripts/plugins/all_in_one_100.py", line 429, in
isHealthPageUp
    raise Exception(ERROR_JBOSS_STATUS)
Exception: Error: There's a problem with JBoss service.Check that it's up and
rerun setup. <--
I even started jboss-as during one of my many tries:
[root at srv-santos fred]# service jboss-as status
jboss-as is running (pid 22043)
So I think that the setup process can't resolve the name of the host to test if
jboss is up and the servlet ok.
This possibly means that the name resolution is only done with DNS, without
checking the hostfile.

Can someone help me to solve this problem (without seting up a local bind server
on my host  or registrering my test server in our DNS servers of course:-)

Thanx