[Users] oVirt 3.2 on CentOS with Gluster 3.3

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 11:06:17 UTC 2013

Hi Rob,

On 03/06/2013 05:59 PM, Rob Zwissler wrote:
> On one hand I like oVirt, I think you guys have done a good job with
> this, and it is free software so I don't want to complain.
>
> But on the other hand, if you release a major/stable release (ie:
> oVirt 3.2), but it relies on a major/critical component (clustering
> filesystem server) that is in alpha, not even beta, but alpha
> prerelease form, you really should be up front and communicative about
> this.  My searches turned up nothing except an offhand statement from
> a GlusterFS developer, nothing from the oVirt team until now.
>
> It is not acceptable to expect people to run something as critical as
> a cluster filesystem server in alpha form on anything short of a
> development test setup.  Are any other components of oVirt 3.2
> dependent on non-stable general release packages?
>
> What is the latest release of oVirt considered to be stable and
> considered safe for use on production systems?

It seems like there has been conflation of two things here - I may be
wrong with what I say, but having checked, I do not believe so.

With oVirt 3.2/Gluster 3.4, you will be able to manage Gluster clusters
using the oVirt engine. This is a completely new integration, which is
still not in a production Gluster release.

However, it is still completely fine to use Gluster as storage for an
oVirt 3.1 or 3.2 managed cluster. The ability to use Gluster easily as a
storage back-end was added in oVirt 3.1, and as far as I know, there is
no problem using glusterfs 3.3 as a POSIX storage filesystem for oVirt 3.2.

Vijay, Shireesh, Ayal, is my understanding correct? I am worried that
we've been giving people the wrong impression here.

Thanks!
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13