[Users] Migrating engine-setup to otopi

Alex Lourie alourie at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 10:13:39 UTC 2013

Hi All

Recent development of the otopi [1] framework allows us to migrate the engine-setup,
upgrade and cleanup (and potentially other) utilities to implementation as an otopi
plugin.

Potential benefits of such a move are:

1. Be able to port engine to other distributions.
2. Be able to install engine in a development mode.
3. Be able to customize installation easily.
4. Share installation of components (reports, dwh).
5. Modular implementation, reduce maintenance costs.
6. Code reuse of installer code for multiple purposes (host-deploy,
enigne-setup).

Currently we are in the process of creating a 'setup' plugin for
the otopi, and the progress can be monitored at [2]. The current
roadmap for the feature is as follows:

1. Recreate the configuration utilities as plugins in otopi.
2. Support side-by side installation using both the old and the
new utilities.
3. Switch to the new utility when the confidence that it is on-par
with an old one is high.

Our goal is to have the new utilities ready for 3.3 release (at
least for the step 2 in the roadmap).

We'd like to hear as much feedback as possible, so we could
address it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

[1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/project:otopi,n,z
[2] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Otopi_Infra_Migration